Sunday, April 23, 2006

Killed With Kindness



I have this group project in one of my classes that has driven me crazy this past week. Absolutely crazy. I got very frustrated with one of my group mates in particular. She is incredibly sweet and nice, but English is not her first language and there was a failure to communicate all around. We had to have a last minute meeting this afternoon (on a Sunday! A beautiful, sunny Sunday! My one day a week when I have absolutely no where to be and nothing to do!) in the school computer lab, and I was not pleased. In fact, I was so not pleased that I was extra bitchy and sour to both of my group mates, and Failure to Communicate in particular.



Once we got everything pretty much sorted out, and I was about to bolt out the door, Failure to Communicate says, "I have something for you two."



Oh no, I thought, here it comes. She then handed me an invitation to her wedding reception.



Oh my god. I almost cried. I felt like the most hateful, horrible person in the world. I wanted to take back all the horrible thoughts I'd had and all the impatience I'd exhibited and hide it under a bushel somewhere. Failure to Communicate had completely killed me with kindness, and I was incredibly humbled.



I guess this is a reminder to slow down and keep working on the whole being a good person thing. And to never underestimate the power of a killing kindness.



[CSY]

No comments: