Saturday, August 05, 2006

Hell yes, I'm in Alaska!



It's 50 degrees, foggy, and raining steadily. But I don't care! I'm in Alaska! And I'm having a great time!



I got a bout of nerves on the flight from Seattle yesterday afternoon. Oh god, I thought. I don't know ANYBODY up there. What if they don't come and get me from the airport? What if they hate me and are super mean to me? WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING???



But I had nothing to worry about. Everyone has been so nice to me. I got picked up from the airport as promised, and immediately whisked away to see the Mendenhall Glacier (beautiful!) and the salmon run (amazing!). I had a little time to relax before going to the rehearsal dinner and seeing my friend Ryan for the first time in about 5 years. I was nervous about that too--would anyone talk to me? But people did talk to me, and were very excited about my being here ("You're so brave to come all this way by yourself and not even know anyone!") and wanted to tell me all about the fabulous things to see here in Juneau.



At eleven last night I completely crashed...the four hour time difference meant my body had been up for nearly 24 hours at that point.



This morning I got up and walked downtown to see what I could see. And of course I saw an internet place, and of course I felt a sudden urge to check my e-mail and write an entry.



I'm trying to be good about taking pictures (you know that's not my strong point) so that I'll have some fabulous things to post to my flickr page once I get back.
###

No comments: