Thursday, August 31, 2006

Maybe you have to go backwards to go forwards?




Lately, everything is turning up teenager.



It all started with Back to School.



Once upon a time, like when my aunt and uncle went there, my college was a big time non-traditional student commuter campus. That all changed ten years ago with the Olympics and the construction of the Village. Suddenly, there was a huge effort to change the demographic of my college to a more "traditional aged" student body. Fast forward to 2006 and the infamous commuter college has morphed into an "urban campus" featuring about a bajillion 18- and 19-year-old suburbanite kids who don't know how to walk down a crowded city sidewalk (stay to the right and don't take up the whole damn thing). Maybe if I was majoring in business or something I wouldn't have to deal with them quite so much, but it seems the bulk of my classes are filled with these bright-eyed OTP kids from Fayetteville and Gwinnett. Factor in that it's RUSH WEEK OMIGOD and that WRAS keeps having concerts and stuff that take up the whole courtyard just at the precise moment I must cross it to be in class and I'm already five minutes late and you can just begin to imagine how I feel when I'm at school.




Besides the hell that is finishing your undergrad when you're already too jaded and world-weary to give much of a damn anymore, there have been other things in my life that scream teenager. I was sitting at the bar for my friend C's birthday celebration last week, and somehow we started talking about Hunch Punch.



"Omigod, remember drinking Hunch Punch?"



Yes, yes I do. In case you don't know, Hunch Punch is basically Everclear and punch with chunks of fruit in it. Really "great" Hunch Punch involves soaking the fruit, such as strawberries and melons, in the Everclear for 24-48 hours, the goal being that all you have to do is eat a piece of fruit to get drunk.
The Hunch Punch is stored and served in a large cooler or trash can, or, if the party's really classy, in the bathtub.



One of the guys in our group claimed that his old fraternity made Hunch Punch simply by mixing Everclear and Kool-Aid. Ew. That is not Hunch Punch; that's just gross frat boys being cheap.



All the Hunch Punch talk dredged up all sorts of memories of when I was 18 and 19. Thankfully, there has been no Hunch Punch in my life since then.



Then tonight, at my roomate Jess's birthday celebration (Ever notice how all your friends seem to have their birthdays at once? It's astrology, stupid! For real.) I met a dude who ended up being friends with the little brother of a girl I knew at West Georgia. That took me back to when I was 16 (shudder, shudder). We also had Jell-o shots, made with Mr Boston, for chrissakes. Mr Boston and McCormick (the two cheapest, most disgusting excuses for vodka ever created) both were good friends of mine at 16, sadly enough.



The most unexpected teenager moment , though, occured the other day. I was talking on the phone with this guy and then he started to play his guitar while we were talking. Whoa. That's like how guys used to do when I was 14 and 15. I was completely surprised. Not mad, mind you, just a little amused at the absurdity of the situation.



Anyway, enough ramblings. I'm off to bed, because I'm donating blood in the morning and running a few errands before disappearing to the mountains for the weekend. Everyone have a good holiday weekend without me.
###






No comments: