Thursday, May 03, 2007

I carried a watermelon





I haven't posted in the better part of a week, which means I have so many amusing anecdotes stored up I don't even know where to begin. Monday's 3 final exam insanity? Tuesday's meeting with the Fulbright advisor? Tuesday night's Arcade Fire show at the Civic Center? (Yes, that's right, the CIVIC CENTER, the place I grew up going to see The Nutcracker and high school graduations. In fact, the last time I was there was for the class of '99's graduation. Apparently they haven't updated the decor in that place since 1988.)



But no, I have to start with the pinnacle of the awesomeness: I saw Dirty Dancing on the big screen last night. I don't think words can even begin to describe how influential this movie has been on me. I saw it for the first time when it first came out on VHS, when I was a very impressionable (and way too young to be watching a PG-13 movie!) 5-year-old. Forever seared in my memory is the moment that my Aunt J turned to me, just as Baby gets her dad the doctor to come take care of a post-back-alley-abortion Penny, and says, "Don't tell Grandma you saw this." As if I was going to tell Grandma I saw a movie called DIRTY Dancing! I was five; I wa
sn't an idiot. Of course, at that age I didn't really get what was happening to Penny, but I certainly got the thrill of Baby's learning to dance with PATRICK SWAYZE (I mean, Johnny Castle). SWOON!



After I had the time of my life, Rob and I played a game of air hockey. I've been practicing lately, and Rob was surprised to discover that "You've improved your defensive game. Ways I used to be able to score on you you now block!" Quick, someone make that a metaphor for our relationship...



###



2 comments:

captwc said...

Aunt J asks: and what is the moral of the movie?

Anonymous said...

That's a hott photo. No, hottt with 3 tees, even.

Holla!