Friday, June 08, 2007

No sex. No drugs. No rock and roll.


Ok, so maybe there's been a little rock and roll...if the Arcade Fire and Fergie count as rock and roll (anyone? anyone?). But really, I've gone practically straight edge these days...or at least the straightest edge I've been since...uh...um, I don't wanna think back that far.



I think I've mellowed a lot in 2007. Selling the car has helped a lot with that, what with cutting out the stress of driving in ATL traffic (although I still have to WALK on Atlanta streets...more on that later) and creating a whole mental shift in how I order my life (when you're dependent on public transportation and your own two feet, with the occasional ride from a friend, you have to put more thought into going places and doing things). I've lost a little weight, my legs feel all strong and awesome, I'm saving tons of money, I'm hardly contributing to the horrid smog, and the Clean Air Campaign keeps sending me $25 Visa gift cards. In short, selling car=awesome.



(Oh, and speaking of cars, Atlanta now has FlexCar and I am officially all enrolled and stuff, though I have yet to drive one of the cars. If any of you lovelies decide to join, list me as your reference so I can get a credit. Thanks!)



A New Order moment


In the mornings I often listen to my ipod on my way to work to get me all pumped and ready for the day. A few days ago, as I stepped onto the down escalator after exiting the train station, New Order started playing (I can't remember which song, but it's not really about the song), and something popped wistfully in my brain and I was suddenly very aware about me being on that escalator in that moment with that song, with the imaginary opening credits flashing just below my flip flops. At the bottom of the escalator, when I stepped off, I broke into an even jauntier stride than usual. I smiled to myself, and everyone who passed me smiled back. It was great. I was great. The morning was great. At the crosswalk, the car in the lane closest to me stopped just as he should, without me bullying myself into the intersection, and I waved as I began to cross and shouted "THANK Y---" just as the car in the next lane over nearly clipped me. My "thank you" immediatly morphed into a "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" and an angry glare.





Thus ended the New Order moment.





On a mission from God



Earlier this week, completely out of the blue, someone from Portland found me on myspace and sent me a message. She wanted to know if I was still writing poetry. Taking this as a sign from God, I immediately registered for a creative writing class.



My mission starts a week from tomorrow.
###


1 comment:

femmusic said...

Ooo, sign of mission from God. I wish one of those would happen to me these days, though I have a tendency to think God is sending them, I might just not be noticing them. Good on ya! Where's the class?