Sunday, February 24, 2008

I was doing laundry today, and was sitting with a notepad and a pen, trying to write an assignment for class that has yet to be written (oh, and you thought I was blogging because I'm a good little blogger...no, I'm blogging to avoid writing real work...what else is new...), and I didn't know where to begin, so I started word doodling. Word doodling is what I do instead of "brainstorming." I start writing whatever pops into my head, and usually after a sentence or five thoughts begin to take form and I'm off writing. However, my word doodle today went like this:



QUESTION: What am I doing with my life?

Answer: ?



And so my word doodle ended just as quickly as it started, without a bit of usable material for my assignment.



I wasn't really surprised that such a question-and-answer should pop into my head, not after this weekend. I've been sick and on cold medicine, and my friend Patrick came to visit from Georgia. He and I go way back to when we were just two screwed up kids trying to navigate the semi-adult world of college for the first (and ultimately unsuccessful) time. Now we're a couple of jaded-yet-hopeful mid-twentysomethings who've finally managed to finish our respective bachelor degrees and can talk about things like careers and law and grad school. I don't see Patrick that often, but when I do it stirs up deep emotions and contemplative thoughts. Plus I've been having pretty heavy "What should I do come May?" conversations with everyone I've talked to the past week or so. So it makes total sense that my word doodle ended up the way it did.



Today was the first day in the better part of a week where I've felt semi-normal, healthwise. I'm still somewhat congested, but at least I've got some energy back.



And the Oscars are on. Hosted by John Stewart. Love him. I actually have seen most of the Oscar-nominated movies this year. Personally, I'm rooting for No Country For Old Men.
# # #

No comments: