Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Delirious thoughts from my sickbed



Will I ever have long hair again? Is 25 really as terrifyingly old as it sounds? How do people ever find one another to fall in love? Which is weirder: my roommate's need to wear high heels when writing a paper or my need to scribble repetitive thoughts into a notebook to combat insomnia? How do I ever expect to finish reading Love in the Time of Cholera if I never sit down for more than a page at a time? Will I ever own furniture again? Why does the dishwasher in this place wash dishes so poorly? Do I even remember what it feels like to be healthy?



So after a week of sick, I came down with a fever Monday night. It broke by yesterday morning, but, despite sleeping all day, spiked back up to 101.5 Tuesday night. This was enough to make me concerned that I might have some horrible dorm disease, so I went in to student health services this morning to see a health care professional. The nurse practitioner confirmed what I suspected: Viruses do not hang around for a week and then turn into a fever. Therefore, I had neither a cold nor the flu, but some sort of bacteria wrecking havoc on my body. She wrote me a prescription for one of those antibiotic packs that are all the rage ("This should kill anything in your upper or lower respiratory system") and sent me on my way.



I spent all of today in bed, sleeping, dreaming, and having delirious thoughts like those featured above.



The upside is I woke up at about 4 this afternoon feeling slightly less crappy than I have in recent memory. Hopefully this means the antibiotics are beginning to kill the nasty bacteria and I can rejoin the living sometime soon.
# # #


No comments: