Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Books I'm reading



But before I get to that, let me say I have never watched Veronica Mars. Moving on.



I've decided to quote from a couple books I'm reading at the moment, because they are good and I want to share with you.



FICTION

"There were plenty of things to want to feel safe from when you're young, but when you're older, Charlotte thought, it feels good to stand close to someone who would be willing to take your side, no matter what, and have the size and the conviction to really stick to it."

--Ellen Cooney, A Private Hotel for Gentle Ladies


NON-FICTION

"Rising out of the ashes of feminism, and repudiating its critique of the narrow confines of middle-class motherhood, the celebrity mom profile was an absolutely crucial tool in the media construction of maternal guilt and insecurity, as well as the romanticizing of motherhood, in the 1980s and byond."

--Susan J. Douglas & Meredith W. Michaels, The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How It Has Undermined All Women

***


2 comments:

femmusic said...

Was that a hint to send VMars? (Sorry, subtlety is not my forte.)

Ryan Remains said...

Good quotes. "The main reason I believe in UFO's is because sometimes I lose stuff." -Sam Fisher