Saturday, December 16, 2006

The latest in 'Is this really my life?' news




Yes! Finals are over! Relief and joy is all around. Mostly. But not all is rosy and wonderful in my life. Yes, it's true, the friend who talked me into plunking down money and joining her in the dark, polluted waters of internet dating has, a mere 2 weeks into this bullshit, found a man. So that whole, "It'll be way more fun if we're doing this together and can compare battle stories" rah-rahing has turned into me trying to call her to hang out and being told she's going to the strip club with her new boyfriend, proving once again that you can't trust straight women; they'll sell you out at the first sign of interest from a boy with a dog and Christmas lights in his front yard.



Ok, all bitterness aside, I'm really happy for her. Sorta.



Then there's my friend who I went bath fixture and paint sample shopping with earlier in the week. She and her man are slated to close on their fixer-upper on the 20th, and my eyes are so green with envy I can hardly see straight. Real estate, people. Real estate! She's managed, in the words of another friend, to "con" some man into buying real estate with her. So. Jealous.



The worst is that every middle-aged woman who hears I'm internet dating says, "Don't do that! I have just the son/nephew/grandson for you." I start asking questions, and inevitably what comes out is that he's a) unemployed or b) a waiter and c) he still lives at home. What does this say about me as a person, that everyone is trying to set me up with their loser sons, not the ones who are 2nd-year-law students or work in high finance? The middle-aged women's explanation? "He's creative, like you..."



Oh, I get it. 'Creative' means 'undateable'. Thanks.



My personal life aside, I think I did really well in my classes this fall, despite experiencing XTREME burnout, and work is wonderful, as always. Have I mentioned I LOVE my job? I am a valued, appreciated team mate, and I now even have my own business cards. Maybe I'll just become one of those stereotypical balls-busting career women, feeding off the weakness of others to further her own ambition. Then, while no man would want to date me, at least I'd be making enough money to buy all the real estate my little bitter heart could ever desire.



(Considers this...)
###





No comments: