Sunday, October 07, 2007

A new rule



I have a new rule: If my couple friends want to hang out with me as a couple, they must bring me a date.



I'm serious. For the past year and some change I've been a very good sport about hanging out with couples. But my good sportedness is starting to run out. I'm only in Atlanta a few more months, and I refuse to continue being a fifth wheel for what little time is left - or worse, the only uncoupled single in a room full of couples. I think a string of disappointing set-ups is preferable, or at the very least different.



I've warned several couples of the implementation of this new rule this week, and the feedback has ranged from unhelpful to really unhelpful: "I don't know any single guys"/"The two single guys I know you can't stand"/"We never think of you as a fifth wheel!"



Ok, I understand all that, but really y'all, this isn't about you. This is about me. I refuse to spend another meal seated across from a couple while the seat next to me holds nothing more than my handbag.



You have been warned. New rule goes into effect...now.
###

No comments: