Monday, March 31, 2008

Something about gender norms

My internship must be getting to me: I'm starting to act like I did when I took my first woman's studies class nearly ten years ago, getting irritated by gender norms and assumptions at every turn. I'd gotten rather complacent and able to let stuff slide more and more the past few years, but being fully immersed again in a place that lives and breathes sexuality and gender has riled me up something major. I snapped at a (straight) (male) friend on the phone tonight, shouting, "You're buying into the gender binary!" Which was true, but I probably could have been a little nicer about it. Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that not everyone spends their days consumed with GLBT civil rights (or LGBT, if you prefer...oh, the arguments that occur over GLBT v. LGBT v. queer v....if you only knew!!).

So yeah. Gender norms. Any thoughts?
# # #

No comments: